Location: Room 3M-05
Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Chief Health Physics: 706-787-4692
Radiation Protection Officer: 706-787-4692
Assistant Chief Health Physics: 706-787-2025
NCOIC, Health Physics Technician: 706-787-1382
- The Health Physics Office provides Health/Medical Physics support and oversight to users of ionizing radiation within the Medical Center and the subordinate clinics that use ionizing radiation devices or materials and lasers.
- We perform evaluations of all x-ray machines, monitoring equipment operation and image quality.
- We evaluate the request for use, purchase, and use and control of all regulated laser devices.
- We also are responsible for maintaining the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) license.
- Serving as the Radiation Safety Officer on the NRC radioactive material license, we are responsible for evaluations of radioactive material procurement, use, and ultimate disposal.
- Any individuals issued radiation monitoring devices use our service for receiving their badges, their exposure history, and their annual training. We evaluate their exposures to ensure all exposures are maintained As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA).
- We provide administrative and technical support to the DDEAMC Radiation Safety Committee and the subordinate DDEAMC Laser Safety Subcommittee.